Beatles with the Maharishi

Beatles with the Maharishi
Beatles with the Maharishi

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Beatle music bonding with musician buddies

It never fails to amaze me just how many of my musician friends are Beatles fans. Most of the musician friends that I have are Beatles fans. When we have played music together, there is an endless list of Beatles songs that we play.
The first Beatles song that I was taught to play was "Here Comes the Sun." It is not the easiest Beatles song for me. I was given the Easy Chords for Guitar version and I had the toughest time with the riffs as I am left handed and picking is not my strong point.
I have also done cover versions of A Day in the Life, Tomorrow Never Knows, Don't Bother Me, Things We Said Today, and many others.
It has always been frustrating for me because when I try to play along with Beatles records, the chords never sound right. That is because the Beatles and George Martin did many things to their records to give them a unique sound. One trick was to speed up or slow down the recording and playback speeds of the tape decks. So there I was with the correct chords, but the recording had been flattened or sharpened to a higher or lower key than how it was written. Then John used chords that he learned that are actually banjo chords and he applied them to his guitar playing. Paul used many inverted chords so that his chord progressions and transitions flowed better. And none of this is explained on any of the Beatles songbooks that I purchased over the years. You should see the chord blocks for my sheet music for "Blackbird." It looks like the "Sesame Street" synopsis or the Disney version of "Ulysses."
I learned how to play Beatles songs from my musician friends. Oh, so you play Blackbird this way. Oh, I see.
There is also a wealth of instruction on how to play Beatles songs and numerous musicians with posts on YouTube and other websites demonstrating how to play cover versions of Beatles songs. I am most recently impressed with a young boy from Japan that has not only mastered the original chord structure of how to play Beatles songs, he has added instrumental voicings of the melodies and blended in with the chords.
Check out this instructional video on YouTube how to play Blackbird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O0EgSYRZ0Q&feature=PlayList&p=FA4069C735E88EE5

No comments:

Post a Comment